March 20, 2020
In accordance to the latest Public Health recommendations, as well as recommendations of our regulatory colleges and insurance providers, we will only be providing care to those that are considered "emergency or acute" cases. If you have any symptoms of COVID-19, have traveled out of the country in the last 14 days or have been in contact with someone who has, we ask that you cancel immediately. We support the practice of social distancing and if you would like to cancel your appointment(s), please contact the front desk at 613-695-0266 or firstname.lastname@example.org to do so. Admin staff are keeping track of individuals who are cancelling their appointments and will contact you to reschedule when that is possible. No late cancellation or reschedule fees will apply at this time.
Please read the following updates for specific instructions by practitioner:
Dr. K. van der Veer:
Dr. van der Veer is available for emergency and/or acute patients during this time. Call the office as usual to set up your appointment. We are scheduling those patients in need at appropriately spaced times so as to avoid unnecessary social contact and allow us to adequately clean the office. Please do not come early to your appointment without checking ahead. Dr. van der Veer is monitoring the situation on a daily basis and will re-evaluate as needed.
Dr. K. Whitton:
Patients who are currently scheduled to see Dr. Whitton will be contacted by her to discuss pain situation and the need for appointments on a cases by case basis. All appointments deemed not emergent will be cancelled until April 6, 2020. If you have questions for Dr. Whitton or would like to request an appointment with her, you may do so by emailing email@example.com. Please use this email rather than the firstname.lastname@example.org email to contact her.
Dr. Whitton will be offering phone or email (and possibly video) consultations to existing patients in order to provide support and care during this time. Dr. Whitton is monitoring the situation on a week to week basis and will re-evaluate as needed.
Cynthia Foubert, RMT:
Cynthia has cancelled all appointments for the current week (March 16 - 20, 2020) with a high probability of cancelling her appointments for next week (March 23-27, 2020). You will be contacted by the front desk staff if your appointment is cancelled.
For other information about how we are preventing the spread of COVID-19 in our clinic, please read our previous post here:
March 16, 2020:
* UPADTE: March 16, 2020 12:00pm EST
Presently, CORE Chiropractic and Performance Centre, remains open. We respect the Ottawa Public Health recommendation of social distancing, as well as only leaving your home for essential trips. If you feel you do not need to attend your appointment and are in a level of pain you can manage on your own, please feel free to contact the clinic and reschedule/cancel your appointment.
March 15, 2020:
In the wake of the declaration by the WHO of the COVID-19 virus as a pandemic, as well as increasing cases in Ottawa, we are taking steps to ensure the health and safety of our clinic:
- We ask that if you are experiencing any symptoms of the COVID-19 virus (or any other illness) including: fever, difficulty breathing, or cough, please contact the clinic via phone or email to reschedule your appointment.
- If you are in a high risk group for illness and/ or are worried about exposure risks and coming to your appointment, please contact the clinic via phone or email to reschedule your appointment.
- If you have recently travelled we ask that you follow the Government of Canada requirement of self-isolating for 14 days after returning from your trip and contact the clinic via phone or email to reschedule your appointment.
- Please wash your hands with warm water and soap frequently, refrain from touching your face and cough or sneeze into your elbow; avoid shaking hands or hugs.
- Our equipment, reception area and treatment rooms are being cleaned/ sanitized regularly to prevent the spread of any germs. Hand sanitizer is available in our reception area.
Again, we ask that you do not come to the clinic if you are sick, have travelled in the last 14 days or have been in contact with someone who is sick or has travelled. Please call the clinic at 613-695-0266 or email at email@example.com.
Please note the risk to Ontarian's still remains low and we are monitoring this situation closely.
If you have questions about the COVID-19 virus specifically, please use the following helpful links:
We know you've been asking, so here it is - Diana's coveted recipe for her home-made natural hand sanitizer we have in our reception area:
2 drops tea tree essential oil
2 drops oil of oregano
3 drops eucalyptus essential oil
4 drops lemon grass essential oil
1 tbsp witch hazel
3 tbsp aloe vera gel
1 tsp vitamin E (soothing and acts as a preservative)
Combine ingredients in a small bowl. Stir well. Pour into the container of choice and use as needed!
This is a formula that is easier on your skin and doesn't have the strong smell of traditional hand sanitizers. There are natural germ killing properties in tea tree oil, oil of oregano and witch hazel. Use this DIY hand sanitizer in conjunction with regular hand washing, coughing or sneezing into your elbow, and limiting physical contact while sick to help prevent the spread of germs and sickness!
Disclaimer: We understand that there are limitations to the power of essential oils and recognize this recipe may not prevent all illness or kill all germs. We do not intend to replace accepted public health preventative measures with this recipe. We understand there are situations where alcohol-based sanitizers are necessary, and support their use.
It is finally feeling like spring around the city and we could not be more excited to be done with the snow and ice! With the warmer weather out, and the snow melting, it's time to get outdoors and enjoy some of the fresh air. Whether your outdoor activity of choice is walking, running, biking, gardening or something else, it's important to prepare your body for the activity you are about to do, especially if you haven't done it in a while! Follow these helpful tips below to prevent injury and have a great start to your spring:
1) Do a light warm-up before any activity that could be strenuous. (including gardening). A 5-10 minute walk around the block and some gentle stretching for the upper and lower body will help warm up your muscles and prevent soreness after your activity.
2) Make sure your equipment is ready for you. Getting your bike tuned up after a winter of storage or making sure your running shoes are in good condition will help make your transition back to your activities much smoother.
3) When gardening, squat or kneel, don't bend. Gardening can be very taxing on the back if you spend the whole time bending over. Try kneeling or squatting down to do your planting, or bring a low stool over and sit if it's easier on your knees.
4) Hydrate. Make sure you are drinking water while outside in the sunny weather, as well as after your activity. Staying hydrated helps your body recover from physical activity.
For more helpful articles about keeping your body healthy during activities, check out the Ontario Chiropractic Association's website: www.chiropractic.on.ca/public/your-back-health/
This month we have a few updates to announce for the clinic:
1. Unfortunately, for the time being, we will not be offering Registered Massage Therapy services on Mondays. Dr. van der Veer and Dr. Whitton will continue to treat patients on Mondays from 9:00am - 5:00pm.
2. We would like to congratulate Dr. Whitton on recently completing her Active Release Techniques (A.R.T.) Spine Level 1 course. Dr. Whitton has enjoyed integrating these techniques into her soft tissue skill set and is looking forward to taking more A.R.T. courses.
3. Our clinic team is planning our outreach schedule for the coming year. If you have an office event, golf tournament or other function you think would benefit from our practitioners being present, please contact us at 613-695-0266.
2019 has officially arrived and we are wishing everyone a happy and healthy year ahead! Here are some of our clinic highlights from 2018:
1. The clinic was remodelled thanks to Dr. van der Veer's handy work, to create a better use of our space and make room for new practitioners.
2. We welcomed a new office manager, Diana Moffatt, to our team. Diana has been instrumental in helping our clinic run smoothly and be as efficient as possible, to serve our patients and clients best.
3. Dr. Katie Whitton and Rebecca Moss, RMT started their practices' at our clinic bringing new faces, skills and techniques to our team. For more information, check out their Welcome to the Clinic blog posts: Dr. Katie
and Rebecca Moss, RMT
Our team is excited to continue to provide excellent care to our patients and clients in 2019! Whether you are looking to accomplish a new goal, have a nagging injury needing some TLC or are just looking for some maintenance care, we look forward to seeing you! To book an appointment or learn more call us at 613-695-0266.
Too soon to start thinking about the Holiday season? Now the snow is flying and our holiday shopping is in full force, keeping your back healthy all season long is essential! From shovelling, gift wrapping to outdoor sports, there are a number of issues that could arise and a number of ways you can protect yourself. Check out the following quick tips below to keep your back and body healthy while you endure the season:
1. Ergonomic Gift Wrapping - instead of wrapping on the floor, try using a table or desk to ensure you have proper posture
2. Lift Light, Shovel Right - let your legs and arms do the heavy lifting instead of relying on your back, and push the snow to one side to avoid throwing it. If you must throw it, avoid twisting and turning
3. Shop Smart - Carrying all those shopping bags of gifts can be a pain on your wallet and your back. A trip to your car to drop off your bags can lighten the load. If that’s not reasonable, take breaks and set your bags down.
For more great back-saving tips during the holiday season, check out the Ontario Chiropractic Association's Website: https://www.chiropractic.on.ca/public/your-back-health/5-ways-stay-pain-free-holiday-season/
If you have any questions about your back health this season, or any season and want to consult any of our practitioners, please give us a call at: 613-315-2657
Did you miss our give away last week? Weren't the lucky winner? Good news! We are raffling off another set of Redblacks tickets to the Friday November 2nd game against the Toronto Argonauts. Game time is 7:30pm. Each patient is allowed one ballot entry per appointment, with any of our practitioners. We will draw the lucky winner on Wednesday October 31st, and contact them via phone or email! If you have any questions or would like to book an appointment, please call the clinic at 613-695-0266.
Further game details can be found at the the Redblacks website: https://www.ottawaredblacks.com/
For information about how to get to the game without the hassle of parking and driving check out the OC Transpo special events busses, free with your ticket: www.octranspo.com/ottawa-destinations/tdplace
Good luck to all!
Are you a Redblacks fan?
In the spirit of Thanksgiving, this week we are saying “Thanks” to our patients by raffling off two tickets to the Friday, October 19th game! At each appointment with any of our practitioners, you can fill out a ballot and enter your name to be in the draw. The draw will take place Wednesday, October 17th and the winner will be contacted via phone or email. If you have any questions or want to book an appointment, please give us a call at 613-695-0266.
For further game details visit the Redblacks website: https://www.ottawaredblacks.com/
Goodluck to all!
Please be advised that the clinic will be closed, Monday October 8th, 2018 for Thanksgiving Monday. We are wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving and hope you have a great long weekend with friends and family! The clinic will re-open on Tuesday October 9th at 1:00pm. If you have any questions or need to change your appointment due to holiday plans, please call the front desk at 613-695-0266.